What climatic conditions can be expected?
The summers are sunny and warm and ideal for outdoor activities. The winters are cold, though the days are usually sunny.
The landscape, plants and animals
Situated at the foot of the Thaba ‘Nchu Mountain, the Moutloatse Setlogelo Dam is surrounded by the Maria Moroka Reserve. The undulating grassy plains embraced by wooded hills, with the mountain standing guard in the north, is our own Serengeti.
The clear night sky with millions of stars so close you may touch them, earned this area the name of “BIG SKY COUNTRY”
Well-known wildlife species such as zebra, red hartebeest, buffalo and giraffe are found here. More than a hundred species of birds, including a variety of aquatic species, have been recorded in the Reserve, and large flocks of blue crane can, from time to time, be seen.
Fish species include carp, barbel, yellow fish and mudfish.
What facilities are available?
The day visitor to the Reserve/Resort will find a well designed hall, picnic area with braai facilities and an ablution block for your convenience next to the office.
- Fully equipped 6 luxurious self catering chalets with carport and braai areas:
- Five 4-bed chalets – 1 double bed and two single beds per room @ R800.00 per chalet
- 1 x Rondavel chalet – four single beds @ R400.00 per chalet
- The Moutloatse Setlogelo Dam is a popular angling area, for angling competitions. (Clubs)
- Day and night wildlife sightseeing tours (Hotel)
- Functions in a traditional Tswana stone lapa are arranged by the Black Mountain Hotel.
- Luxurious accommodation, as well as a variety of activities such as tennis, mini golf, are available at the Black Mountain Hotel.
Who do I contact?
Mr Ephraim Bulawa: Acting Resort Manager Mr Jurie van Zyl
Maria Moroka Resort Maria Moroka Reserve
PO. Box 246 P.o. Box 246
Thaba Nchu Thaba Nchu
Tel: 051 – 873 2427 Tel: 051 – 873 2427
Fax: 051 – 873 2466 Fax: 051 – 873 2466
Cell: 084 400 5036 Cell: 083 770 4400
Email: email@example.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
What, where, when?
Hours – Gate: 07h30 – 19h00
Office: 07h30 – 19h00
The Park is located on N8 approximately 80km east of Bloemfontein alongside the popular Thaba ‘Nchu Black Mountain Hotel.